|Funke Koleosho's Boiled Yam with Scrambled Eggs|
Yams are very versatile in the way they are cooked, and this in turn depends largely on their variety. They make a great breakfast meal when served with eggs.
Today's recipe makes a very simple dish, very satisfying and easy and quick to make.
What you need
- Puna yam
- Fresh milk
- Chilli powder
- Butter /coconut oil / avocado oil
- Ground black pepper
- A handful of fine diced mixed sweet peppers.
What to do
- Peel and slice the yam, wash and boil in salted water. This should be cooked in about 10 minutes depending on the thickness of your slices. Drain excess water and set aside covered up in the pot to keep warm.
- Simultaneously, crack the eggs into a bowl. Add some milk; about 1-2 tablespoons per egg. Whisk eggs.
- Now add a pinch or chilli powder (more or less as you prefer). Also add salt and black pepper. Give the eggs a final mix, then place a frying pan on the heat.
- Add a knob of real butter (not margarine!!. Coconut or avocado oils are good substitutes for butter). Allow the fat to heat up a little then add the eggs and continue to stir with a fork (non-stop) until eggs are cooked. Good scrambled eggs will be just cooked and moist, not dried out. Cooking should take no more than 3 -5 minutes depending on the quantity of eggs and size of your pan.
- In a separate pan, sauté some chopped mixed peppers and pour over eggs when done. Serve hot with the boiled yam.
|Yam with Spicy Scrambled Eggs|