|Funke Koleosho's Zobo Tea|
Having discovered its unique health benefits, I recommend you swap your regular tea or coffee with zobo tea, at least 3-4 times a week!. It is the ultimate herbal tea Nigeria can lay claims to.
I took it upon myself to research this plant and was overwhelmed by the amount of consistent information proclaiming its health/nutritional benefits. Of most interest to me is the claim that zobo extract/drink is considered to have anti-hypertensive properties! I thought to myself... given the astronomical numbers of people suffering from high blood pressure/hypertension, we ought to be consuming this plant (its leaves, stalk, flowers, the entire plant) every single day; everyone should have the plant growing in their backyards/gardens!!!.... I wonder why this is not the case. In addition sorrel petals are full of anti-oxidants and can also help with weight loss! Read about the numerous health benefits of zobo here. So why aren't people from all over the world drinking more of it?!
Zobo (sorrel, Roselle) is quite popular in Nigeria served mostly as a chilled beverage drink. But these healthy petals, sought for their high levels of anti-oxidants and vitamins, can also be drunk as a tea. So for a quick anti-oxidant boost, I simply add hot water to the petals and allow to brew then serve hot with some added lemon and/or sweeteners (make it a healthy choice such as pure honey or treacle.)
What you need
- Dried sorrel petals
- Honey (or any preferred sweetener but remember this is meant to be a healthy drink so do not ruin it by adding empty calorie sugar!)
- Lemon (for added vitamin C)
What to do
- Rinse out the petals and place in a cafetiere
- Boil some water and pour over the sorrel petals in the cafetiere.
- Allow to brew for about 3 minutes (just as you would brew regular tea) and slowly lower the plunger to secure the petals at the base of the cafetiere.
- Pour tea into a mug/teacup, add some lemon for added Vitamin C, and add some sweetener (this is optional), stir well. It's ready!
- Serve with some baked chin-chin.
"Zobo Tonic" Drink: A quick check on the definition of the word "tonic" (any substance which gives a feeling of vigour and well-being), and...see more...
"Zobo Popsicles: In the hot weather, the body craves something cold and refreshing. I remember back in my primary school days, there was Fan-Ice, a popular ice-lolly (popsicle) ...see more...