|Funke Koleosho's Catfish Suya|
For those not quite familiar with it, catfish is a black slippery, non scaly fish, pretty much like an eel, and with whiskers like a cat's. This fish is very popular in Nigeria and cooked in soups and stews. It is particularly popular used in pepper soups.
Catfish as well as being a rich source of protein, it is also very high in essential fatty acids in particular omega 3. Wild catfish, (not farmed catfish which is more prevalent) is much preferred and has a good balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
Nutritional Data for Catfish (50g of uncooked steak)
Dietary fibre: 0g
Vitamins: B1. B5, B12
Minerals: Potassium, Phosphorus, Selenium
Rich in essential fatty acids: Omega 3
Catfish delicacies such as catfish pepper soup are popularly sold on street corners in major cities in Nigeria. Catfish suya, another delicacy, is becoming quite popular these days. Making catfish suya is a really simple way to enjoy eating this fish. It is particularly suitable for grilling because it is a naturally oily fish.
|Catfish Suya with Baked Sweet Potatoes|
In today's post, I am sharing a very simple recipe on making catfish suya. Served with plantain or yam or potatoes, it can made a truly complete and satisfying meal. Try it
What you need
- Good quality Suya spice
- Some salt
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil
What to do
- Gut the fish and wash thoroughly. Make some incisions on the back of the fish to allow spices to infuse into the fish.
- Tenderly rub the fish (all over) with some salt. Pay particular attention to the cleaned out gut cavity. Follow by rubbing a generous amount of suya spice all over the fish as well. Set aside for about 10 minutes to allow the spices to marinate.
- Subsequently, rub additional suya spice on the fish. Place fish onto a large portion of foil paper. Drizzle a little oil over the spiced fish and wrap the foil around the fish making a sealed pouch/parcel.
- Place parcel into an oven dish and bake for about 25 minutes. This time may depend on the thickness/size of the fish. The fish parcel can also be place on an open fire or barbecue.
- Simultaneously peel the sweet potatoes and cut into chunks to aid fast cooking. Sprinkle some oil over and bake along with the fish in a separate dish. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Serve both together, hot.