|Funke Koleosho's Dodo Veggies|
What you need
- Fresh button mushroom. Use an amount that is proportional to the plantain you use.
- Courgettes (also known as zucchinis); again use a quantity proportional to the amount of plantain used or as your prefer.
- Red onions
- Chives for garnishing
- Ripe plantains (The plantains must be in the stage of ripeness when their sugar content is highest. The skin will have a yellow colour with some streaks of black and still firm to the touch not too soft or mushed up)
- Coconut oil for frying
- Chilli powder or scotch bonnet chillies
- Pre-cooked red pepper base sauce
- Some stock powder seasoning or salt
What to do
- Peel the plantain and thinly slice across its width. Deep fry in coconut oil, remove from the oil and place on some kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Set aside.
- Wash and cut the mushrooms and courgettes into small pieces. Then steam or blanch to soften them taking care not to over cook them. This will enable you to eliminate the water produced particularly from cooking the mushrooms. You want to avoid this water/juice from collecting in the pan, thereby making the plantains soggy.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat some oil and add some chopped onions, some pre-cooked red pepper base sauce, and some chopped scotch bonnet (or chilli powder).
- Stir well and allow to sizzle for about 3 minutes. Add the courgette and mushroom pieces and stir. Then add the fried plantain and stir well.
- Allow all to heat through then serve hot. Ideal to serve as a starter, main meal or side dish....