|Funke Koleosho's Prawns Dodo|
It is such a simple and delicious combination that works. I have tried and enjoyed gizzardo, (which is my preferred name for this dish), but I have also tried variations of it using other types of meat such as fish, chicken and even vegetables.
In today's post is one variation of the popular party starter....Prawns-Dodo, Dodo-Prawns, which ever name you want to call it.....check it out. Excellent served as a starter, main meal or side dish. Explore also with fish, beef or chicken pieces!
What you need
- Raw tiger prawns (you can also use cooked ones but take care not to overcook them as they can become tough and fibrous when overcooked. Again shrimps can be used as a suitable alternative)
- Red onions
- Chives for garnishing
- Ripe plantains (The plantains must be in the stage of ripeness where sugar content is quite high. The skin will have a yellow colour with some streaks of black and they will still be firm to the touch not too soft or mushed up. Find out more about plantains here...)
- Coconut oil for frying
- Chilli powder or scotch bonnet chillies
- Pre-cooked red pepper base sauce (get recipe here)
- Some stock powder seasoning or salt
What to do
- Peel the plantain and thinly slice across its width. Deep fry in coconut oil, remove from the oil and place on some kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- In a separate sauce pan, heat some oil and add some chopped onions, some pre-cooked red pepper base sauce, and some chopped scotch bonnet (or chilli powder).
- Stir well and allow to sizzle for about 3 minutes. Add the cleaned prawns and stir. Then add the fried plantain and stir well.
- Allow all to heat through then serve hot. Ideal to serve as a starter, main meal or side dish....