Spinach gives you strength, so says Popeye!
|Funke Koleosho's Stewed Spinach Sandwich|
West Africans love their greens (even though its much preferred cooked/stewed than eaten raw.) Different types of green leafy vegetables are collectively referred to as spinach, and they can be cooked alone, with added fish, meat or combined with other vegetables, seeds (e.g. melon seeds) or nuts (groundnuts).
Stewed vegetables are commonly served with what is referred to as "swallow" which essentially is a carbohydrate rich doughy paste, which can be quite heavy in terms of diet/nutrition. So I tend to find other much lighter ways to serve my cooked/stewed veggies.
My recipe today is simple....Stewed Spinach served in one of my favourite breads, ciabata. Other types of bread can also be used in this recipe particularly hard dough.... but since I am looking for something light, I am going for a Ciabata roll.
|Stewed Spinach & Smoked Mackerel in Ciabata Bread|
What You Need
- 2-3 bunches of broad leaf spinach (Baby spinach leaves may also be used but skip blanching)
- Pre cooked red pepper base sauce (get recipe here)
- Ciabata bread. Lightly toast (use your preferred type of bread)
- Some smoked mackerel (smoked salmon may also be used. Remove bones, skin and flake)
- A handful of diced mixed sweet peppers (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil
What To Do
- Thoroughly wash the spinach leaves to rid them of sand and other particles. Then blanch in hot salted water for no more than 2 minutes. Immediately strain off the spinach leaves and run cold water over them.
- Then squeeze excess water off the leaves and shred/chop finely. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and brown the onions, then add some pre cooked red pepper base sauce. Stir well and also sprinkle some salt or preferred seasoning to adjust the taste. Add the shredded spinach. Simmer for a further 3-5 minutes. It's done!
- Finally serve your spinach on the ciabata bread, add the smoked fish and enjoy it!
- This stewed spinach can also be served with other types of bread, boiled rice, pounded yam, in an omelette, etc...
|Stewed Spinach Sandwich|