Here is another of my exciting Garden Eggs recipes. (Read a little more about Garden Eggs here...)
Its nothing more than a modern twist of the traditional boiled yam and garden egg sauce recipe. Quite simple to make with really simple ingredients. The result is delicious and filling. This recipe makes an ideal light meal and can be served warm or cold. I'd say its really well suited for those who are on a weight loss plan....as you may (not) know, garden eggs are believed to support weight loss. So get cooking.
What you need
- Garden eggs
- Fresh puna or abuja yam. (You can also used left over cooked yam if available)
- Poached or grilled salmon (skinned, boned and flaked). You may use other oily fish such as mackerel as an alternative
- Pre-made red pepper sauce
- Onion, finely chopped
- Coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Parsley for garnish
|Garden Egg & Yam Salad with Flaked Salmon|
What to do
- Wash the garden eggs and steam them for no more than 5 minutes, dependent on their size of course. The aim is to soften them slightly but do not cook them soggy. We want to keep some of its texture.
- Once steamed cut them up into chunks and sprinkle some salt over them. This will help to reduce some of its bitterness. Set aside.
- Simultaneously, cube some fresh yam, peel and wash clean. Toss the cubes yam into a pot of boiling salted water and cook until just soft. Then in a large sauce pan, heat some oil, add the chopped onions and stir well.
- Allow the onions to soften then add a generous amount of pre-made red pepper sauce, recipe here.
- Once all ingredients are well combined, reduce the heat then add the boiled yam cubes. stir well. Then add the steamed garden egg chunks.
- Work all ingredients together ensuring that the yam and garden egg chunks are well coated with the sauce. Finally, sprinkle over some flaked salmon and serve.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
|Garden Eggs & Yam Salad with Salmon Flakes|