Red Cabbage Rice


I actively seek new ways to incorporate more vegetables in my diet...its just something I feel I need to do more of, in order to keep my well-being up...!

Thankfully there are so many vegetable options to choose from, the only challenge is, how do I cook and enjoy them.!

Vegetables are known for the nutrients they pack, vitamins and minerals and the all so important dietary fibre. This fact makes vegetables so delicate. Most vegetables cook very quickly, so you require some skills to actually cook them optimally, i.e. to ensure that the valuable nutrients they provide are left intact, or at least reduce their loss during the cooking process, to a barest minimum.


So, I have grown to love cabbage very much. I, as with most other Nigerians love to eat them in a coleslaw, that is actually about the only way, or rather, the most popular way, cabbage is eaten in Nigeria. In other sub-Saharan Africa countries, cabbage is also used in making stews or side dishes and omelettes.

Healthy Cabbage!
Cabbage is so full of nutrients, its unbelievable...and I am actually surprised I haven't taken much interest in it until now... It is an excellent source of many minerals such as manganese, potassium, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, copper and vitamins such as vitamin B1, folate, choline, vitamin B2, panthothenic acid and niacin. It is also an excellent source of all important dietary fibre. Additionally, cabbage contains some protein and complex carbohydrate.


I have discovered that cabbage can be cooked and enjoyed in a variety of ways...! The red variety in particular has a very interesting colour and capable of creating visually appealing dishes. And, just like carrots, cabbage is better eaten cooked than eaten raw...! So I am moving on from just eating cabbage in coleslaw...

In today's post I have made a simple rice dish that can be served with chicken stew.

What you need
  • Red cabbage (white cabbage can be used too but the contrasting colour effect will not be achieved)
  • Basmati or long grain rice
  • Coconut oil
  • Salt to taste

What do do
  1. Cook rice as usual. But do not allow to get too soft. Then set aside. 
  2. Grate some cabbage using the coarse side of a cheese grater. 
  3. In a pan heat some oil and stir fry the grated cabbage and cooked rice for about 5 minutes. 
  4. Serve hot with some chicken stew.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post