|Yellow Pawpaw with bits of Coconut and Cantaloupe melon|
In Nigeria. the term "Yellow Pawpaw" is jokingly used to refer to someone who is light skinned, (especially women)....but actually it is a term that describes over-ripe papaya. Such would have an all round yellow colouration on the skin and the fruit flesh/meat will be soft and sometimes mushy.
Papaya is a popular fruit in Nigeria, the trees grow everywhere, back gardens et al. They are often eat raw in between meals and not used for much else. But depending on the stage of ripeness, they can actually be used in salads, juiced, can be cooked like vegetables and can also be used in smoothies.
Papaya is a really nutritions fruit and is considered to be one of the healthiest fruits in the world...! Amongst other things, eating papaya regularly are believed to provide the following benefits: Anti ageing, lowers cholesterol, relief constipation, weight loss and skin nourishment.... now these are enough reasons for me to desire this fruit daily. It is also believed that the nutrients are at the highest levels when the fruit is fully ripened.....yellow pawpaw. (read more about papaya here)
|Funke Koleosho's Yellow Pawpaw|
I tend to eat papaya raw because this is the easiest and quickest way. I also eat papaya in salads, as a smoothie ingredient, mixed with yoghurt and even juiced with other fruits. This of course depends on the stage of ripeness which dictates the texture and sweetness.
Today, I share a simple way to eat yellow pawpaw (over ripe pawpaw)..... check out details below
What you need
- Very ripe papaya
- Some coconut shavings (optional)
- Some other fruits of choice such as cantaloupe melon (optional)
- Fresh pouring yoghurt (optional)
What to do
- Wash the whole fruit before peeling. Then carefully peel off skin and also remove the black seeds in the core of the fruit.
- Then chop the fruit into tiny pieces or as you prefer. Also chop the cantaloupe melon and coconut if using. (See pictures)
- If using, pour the yoghurt into a bowl and then place the chopped fruit into the bowl and garnish with coconut shavings.
- Best served chilled.
|Yellow Pawpaw with Coconut shavings|