Do you enjoy a fruity semi-alcoholic drink once in a while....then make some at home.
Its a known fact that most foods homemade taste better because the best ingredients go into making them, and of course, because they are made with love...!
What is a Cooler
Wine coolers, alcopops or breezers have become really popular especially with popular brands like Bacardi. Essentially, coolers are lower alcoholic content drinks brewed with added fruit flavourings or actual fruit juices and sugar. They are a lighter, more refreshing way to enjoy alcoholic drinks.
|Pineapple & Zobo Cooler|
What you need
- Very ripe pineapple
- Some hibiscus flowers (zobo leaves)
- Brewer's yeast (baker's yeast may also be used)
- Sugar syrup to sweeten
What to do
- Give the whole pineapple a really good wash, to get rid of any sand or other foreign bodies stuck on the skin. Then remove the shoot, and slice off the skin of the pineapple. Deliberately cut some chunks of the pineapple flesh with the skin.
- Place the pineapple skins into a blender, add some water to aid blending and blend coarsely, just enough to cut through the pineapple skins.
- Transfer the pineapple into a large jar, or any large container with an airtight cover. Add some sugar and a little more water to loosen the pineapple blend a little. Add a few washed zobo leaves. The more you add the more intense the colour and the tartness. Give all a little stir.
- In a separate bowl, activate the yeast by placing about 2 spoons into some luke warm water. Allow to activate for about 5 minutes then add to the pineapple blend.
- Stir all together and cover jar. Place in a cool dry corner and allow to macerate overnight or for 12 hours minimum. Remove the cover and stir.
- Add some more cane sugar syrup to sweeten the drink. Stir. Then pass the pineapple zobo macerate through a fine sieve or muslin cloth. Transfer the sieved drink into bottles and refrigerate until it becomes super chilled. This chilling time also allows the drink to mellow.
- Note: This procedure requires strict hygiene to ensure your drink is not contaminated with bacteria. Wash all your utensils properly and treat with hot water before adding the pineapple skins to the jar or the finished drink to the bottles. You may wish to pasteurize the finished drink by heating (not boiling) for a short time, before bottling and chilling. This action will remove the alcohol and may also alter the taste slightly.........................Enjoy.