Cabbage (Dyed) Omelette Wrap

Funke Koleosho's Cabbage Dyed Omelette Wrap

My recipe today is inspired by a popular Ugandan street food called Egg Rolex. I first watched the preparation of this food on spicebaby.com and I was fascinated by its sheer simplicity. The ingredients are very basic, affordable and nutritionally balanced. By the end of the video, I was already imagining the tastes and textures this dish stand to offer....

Egg Rolex
The Ugandan "egg rolex" is basically an omelette in a wrap! Serving eggs in this manner instantly extends how they can be cooked or eaten. In my opinion, egg rolex makes an ideal breakfast, brunch, light lunch or dinner.

Eggs were typically had for breakfast in Nigeria, (except recently when fried eggs are served with instant noodles on street corners!), so I was excited by the prospect of serving eggs at home at breakfast, lunch or dinner time.

Sautéed red and white cabbage, onions and tomatoes

So I set out to create my own egg rolex and though some of the ingredients used to make it (such as chapati flat bread) are not that common in Nigerian cooking (I guess this is an example of Indian influence on Ugandan cuisine), I quickly concluded that I would use tortilla wraps as a substitute. Also, the use of carrots and cabbage to make omelettes is pretty new to me .....so I decided, rather than use both at the same time, I used each for a different batch,  (i.e. I used cabbage for one attempt and carrots for another attempt). I did this because I felt that the veggies may overload the omelettes and may take longer to soften. The rest of the ingredients were pretty much straight forward to I went to work.

Verdict:
This dish was ready in 10 minutes! It was different, really colourful (I decided to use red cabbage which helped to give the dyed effect). It was also very tasty and full of flavours & texture from the veggies. It was quite filling, contrary to what you might think at first. This dish is a permanent addition to my menu, featured as another way to cook and serve eggs....you should try it.

Red Cabbage Omelette

What you need
  • Some free range/organic fresh eggs
  • Cabbage (white and red varieties - to give some colour to the dish)
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Salt to taste
  • Freshly milled black pepper (optional. You can use chilli powder as a substitute)
  • Tortilla wraps (use chipati flat bread if you can get some)
  • Blended olive oil

What to do 
  1. Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add some salt and freshly milled black pepper and whisk. Set aside. 
  2. Finely dice the cabbage, onions and tomatoes. 
  3. Sautée chopped veggies in a little oil using a large frying pan or an omelette pan. Sprinkle a little salt on the veggies as they cook and stir well. 
  4. Once the veggies soften, pour over the whisked eggs. Carefully allow the eggs to cook through flipping over both sides. 
  5. Then gently lay the omelette on preheated tortilla wraps and roll. Done
Cabbage dyed omelette




Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post