Peppered Veggies

Funke Koleosho's Peppered Veggies (with ata dindin)
In Nigerian cuisine the concept of "peppering" denotes the addition of spicy pepper sauce often to meat or fish. Its not the same as you have in the west which is often the addition of black pepper corns.

In one of my previous posts, I explained how Nigerians love their spices (chillies) and how an average Nigerian must eat a spicy dish (a lata) at least once a day!

I have yet to find any scientific evidence, but I feel that chillies are actually addictive!....yes I said it (I stand to be corrected though).

Anyway, from personal experience, I do feel a craving for something spicy and "peppery" now and again. It may sound a little strange for some but I seriously do get this feeling which only leaves me after I have had some "peppered" fish/meat, or some spicy pepper sauce (stew) served with rice, spaghetti etc.....

As a way of preventing weight gain (because trust me, if I have to eat the usual peppery stuff (i.e. peppered meat, fish, snails, stew etc.) every time I get this craving, it will lead to weight gain), I have decided to eat try peppered mixed veggies instead.

Funke Koleosho's Peppered Veggies (with ata dindin)
I do enjoy a bowl of mixed, often steamed veggies from time to time, but after adding some spicy pepper sauce to them, mixed veggies never tasted so good.....enter "Peppered Veggies"!
Eating my veggies this way helped me to kill two birds with a stone 1) I am able to satisfy my pepper craving and 2) I am able to eat bulk vegetables without piling the calories.....it is a win:win situation. Give it  a try...

What you need
  • A selection of your favourite vegetables (in this recipe I used broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, courgettes, red peppers)
  • Pre-cooked Pepper sauce (get recipe here)
  • Premium Ata dindin (get recipe here)
  • Diced onions
  • Salt
  • Coconut oil
What to do
There are two methods you can make your peppered veggies
Method A:
  1. Prep and wash all your veggies and cut into small bite-size chunks. Steam them until soft and set aside. 
  2. Brown some diced onions in some coconut oil using a large saucepan and add some pepper sauce. 
  3. Add enough sauce commensurate to your veggies. 
  4. When this begins to sizzle, add your steamed veggies and stir well. add some salt to taste. Cover your pan and allow veggies to steam through in the sauce. 
  5. Serve hot with some steamed fish or grilled chicken.

Method B:
  1. Prep and wash all your veggies and cut into small bite-size chunks. Steam them until soft. 
  2. Lay veggies out on a plate and scoop some premium ata din din on them. Serve hot. When done this way, the veggies can be served as starters or canapés.


Peppered Veggies sautéed in red pepper sauce

Previous Post Next Post