Plantain Clusters


Funke Koleosho's Plantain Clusters
I served today's recipe to some members of my family the other day and one person said, "aaahhaa, what happened to the dodo?". I said that is your dodo (fried plantain), to which he said "nooooo, this is not dodo as I know it".

My Plantain Clusters recipe is inspired by an old favourite in Nigeria...Dodo Oniyeri (loosely translated as fried plantains with trimmings?!). It is basically diced ripe plantains fried in hot oil with some added bits like meat or fish pieces, onions and mixed peppers etc. It is a variant of Ghanaian Kelewele.

If you have followed my posts closely you will know that I love plantains and I am forever "scheming" new and fun ways to serve them. I find them so versatile and do well served on their own or served to complement other dishes. They are also a good source of natural sugars potassium, vitamin A, and slow release energy. (Read more about Plantain Profile here).

Many children I know tend to love fried plantains so today's recipe will be fun to serve at home and even children's parties perhaps instead of chips for a change. With some spicy dipping sauce, plantain clusters are also ideal to serve as starters/canapés.

Plantain Clusters Canapés (on a bed of shredded lettuce)

What you need
  • Some ripe plantains
  • 1 overripe plantain (this will help to hold the clusters together when cooked so no need to use eggs or flour to bind)
  • Pinch of ginger powder
  • Pinch of onion powered 
  • Pinch of salt (optional - I actually never use salt in my fried plantain because I enjoy the natural taste. In addition, it is another way to eat less salt. The sauce/dip serves to complement taste/flavour)
  • Some pre-prepared Ata din-din

What to do
  1. Peel the plantains and dice finely. Transfer diced plantains into a large bowl and add the ginger powder and onion powder. 
  2. Toss to distribute spices and deep fry until golden brown. 
  3. Transfer onto a paper towel to drain excess oil. 
  4. While still moderately hot, portion the diced fried plantains and mould into balls/clusters. 
  5. Serve with ata din-din as a dip.

Plantain Clusters
Try out my other Plantain Recipes:
  1. Mini Plantain & Fish Bites
  2. Plantain with Stewed Spinach
  3. Plantain & Chicken Salad
  4. Plantain Boats
  5. Layered Beans, Yam & Plantain
  6. Rolled Plantain
  7. Dodo - Fried Plantain

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post